Watershed offers a complete statewide building permit and inspection service to clients that design, build, and develop residential, commercial and industrial buildings.
Our team is well organised and has the skills and knowledge to assess most building permit applications within three days. Some of the smaller projects can be turned around within 24 hours if an application contains all of the required documentation. Our job is to identify and solve building regulatory issues early in the process so that any unnecessary delays can be avoided.
When do i need a building permit?
A building permit is required for most new building work that is of a 'structural nature' such as:
- A new dwelling
- Dwelling renovations (increasing or decreasing the size or height of a dwelling)
- Internal dwelling alterations that involve the removal or inclusion of a structural wall which supports the roof.
- A garage, carport, verandah and deck when attached to a dwelling
- A detached garage, carport and shed that is more than 10m2 in size
- A brick front fence greater than 1.2m high
- A timber front fence greater than 1.5m high
- A retaining wall greater than 1m high
- A swimming pool that has a depth greater than 300mm
- A pergola (timber structure with no roof) greater than 20m2 in size